We all have those tins in the cupboard that have been there since the beginning of time. Bought in moments when we promised ourselves we would cook more meals from scratch, but then struggled to ever find the time. Instead of putting more strain on the supermarkets by bulk buying, we encourage you to USE UP WHAT YOU HAVE. Get creative and see what you can put together.
If you need a helping hand we’ve found some recipes using staple, longlife cupboard items you might have lying around.
Tuna and Sundried Tomato Pasta Bake
Serves 6. Prep Time; 10 Minutes. Cook Time; 15 Minutes
500g dried rigatoni (or any other short pasta)
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
300ml double cream
280g jar sundried tomatoes, drained and quartered
198g can no-added-salt sweetcorn, drained
3 x 120g cans tuna in spring water, drained
100g cheddar grated
50g parmasan grated
- Heat the grill to its highest setting and put a large saucepan of salted water on to boil. Tip in the pasta and cook for 1 min less than the pack suggests.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by simmering the tomatoes in a pan with a little seasoning and the thyme for about 5 mins. Pour in the cream, stir and simmer for another 4-5 mins.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water, and tip back into the saucepan. Pour over the creamy tomato sauce, the sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn and tuna. Layer into a baking dish (ours was 22 x 29cm), scattering over the grated cheddar between layers. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top and put under the grill for 5 mins until bubbling and golden.
Saucy Bean Baked Eggs
Serves 2. Prep Time; 5 Minutes. Cook Time; 20 Minutes.
2x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
400g can mixed bean salad drained
200g baby spinach
4 medium eggs
50g thinly sliced smoked ham torn
Wholemeal rye bread to serve (optionl)
- Tip the tomatoes and bean salad into an ovenproof frying pan or shallow flameproof casserole dish. Simmer for 10 mins, or until reduced. Stir in the spinach and cook for 5 mins more until wilted.
- Heat the grill to medium. Make four indentations in the mixture using the back of a spoon, then crack one egg in each. Nestle the ham in the mixture, then grill for 4-5 mins, or until the whites are set and the yolks runny. Serve with rye bread, if you like.
Recipes from BBC Good Food
One Pot Smoked Tofu Stroganoff (Vegan)
Serves 2. Prep Time; 10 minutes. Cook Time; 10 minutes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1-2 cloves of garlic
100g green beans
100g white mushrooms
1/2 packet smoked tofu
600ml water/or vegetable broth
120ml canned coconut milk
1 tablespoon potato starch
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium/high heat, and add minced ginger, garlic and onion and sautee for 3-5 minutes. Add the beans, mushrooms and tofu and sautee for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in 600ml vegetable stock or water, and soy sauce. Add the paprika.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for around 7 minutes
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Mix the potato starch and coconut milk and pour mixture in to the pan. Stir and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately
Cauliflower and Spinach Curry
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed 3cm piece ginger, peeled and grated 2 tbsp medium tikka curry powder 2 tbsp tomato purée
900g pack frozen cauliflower florets 500g frozen spinach
400g tin chopped tomatoes 1 vegetable stock cube, made up to 200ml 240g long-grain rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 mins, until the onion is starting to soften, then add the tikka powder and tomato purée and cook for a further 1 min.
- Add the cauliflower, spinach, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pan and increase the heat to high. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 mins, until the cauliflower is tender and the spinach has wilted.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 15 mins until tender. Divide the rice between 4 shallow bowls and top with the curry.
Recipe from Tesco