‘A recipe to boost your mood and lift your spirits.’
This series has been all about how we can stay positive and productive during lockdown. Each week we share handy tips and tricks from a different member of The Studio team. And this week we talk about FOOD! We all know what we eat affects our bodies in different ways. It’s easy to reach for a sugar based snack to give us that quick energy lift, but here Steph shows us a dish that has all the nutrition and all the feel good that we need in our day.
Steph has a passion for all things food and nutrition! Focusing on eating healthy but mostly on creating delicious foods that make you feel GOOD! Check out the video and recipe below as she talks us through one of her favourite simple and nutritious dishes!
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Brazil Nut Pesto
150g Pearl Barley
1 red onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Half a butternut squash cut into small cubes
1 lemon, zested
800ml vegetable stock
Handful of fresh sage
Handful of brazil nuts
Bunch of fresh basil
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1. Place the chopped butternut squash into a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and season. Place into the oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cooked and starting to brown.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Then add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
3. Add the pearl barely and stir to coat. Then gradually add the vegetable stock, constantly stirring on a medium heat. When the liquid absorbs, add more stock until the pearl barley is tender. This may take up to 40 minutes.
4. When the pearl barley is tender, add the lemon zest, fresh sage, and roasted butternut squash.
5. While the risotto is cooking, make your pesto by adding the brazil nuts, parmesan and basil to a food processor. Squeeze in a dash of lemon juice and approximately 100-150ml of olive oil and pulse until smooth.
6. Serve the risotto into bowls and top with a spoonful of the pesto and an extra grating of parmesan. Enjoy!
Love this recipe? Let us know by leaving us a comment below!
You can follow Steph on Instagram for more inspiration here at
Or visit her website at
Missed out on The Positivity Diaries? Head back to Part One!
If you’ve been inspired by this recipe check out this one for a health boosting drink!
Looking for Yoga classes?